Vintage Natural Lapis with Chinese Export, Enamel Dog, Stirling Silver, Bone and Glass on Burgundy Silk Chain
- A dramatic carving of vintage lapis, in the shape of a coiled dragon, creates a rich contrast with the burgundy colour chain. Trying to see where the dragon actually is, takes a moment of careful looking. But he is there, as though he were pretending to be invisible. This large piece of brilliant blue lapis is carved through to the other side and the carving then repeats itself. It is 2 ½ inches long (6.5 cm) by 1 ½ inches wide (4 cm) and 8 mm deep. The dragon, important in Chinese culture, symbolizes the Emperor and his power and playfulness. But it also stands for the universal source of energy, known as “Chi”.
- Above and below the pendant are two Indian glass beads (9 mm) in a rich dark red.
- At the bottom hangs a vintage, Chinese export, enamel Foo dog, loved for its protection. It measures 1 ¼ inches long (3 cm), a half inch high (1.5 cm) and 13 mm deep.
- Above the dog is a Thai sterling silver perforated bead (9 mm), while a traditional, handmade Afghan silver on resin bead (14mm) sits underneath a wonderful antique, carved bone cylinder (1 inch or 2.5 cm. long x 11 mm deep).
- Lastly, a vintage, carved lapis melon bead (15 mm) tops all the elements.
- The burgundy handmade silk/polyester chain hosts my silver label.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace measures 19 inches (48 cm) which includes a 5 inch pendant drop (12.5 cm).